Green Card Holder? Should you apply for U.S. Citizenship? Reasons why legal permanent residents should apply for U.S. Citizenship
What are the benefits of U.S. Citizenship?
- Eligibility to vote in Federal and State elections.
- Priority when petitioning for family members to permanently
- Ability to obtain citizenship for children born abroad.
- Traveling with a U.S. passport allows a citizen to get U.S. government assistance when abroad.
- Eligibility for government jobs.
- Eligibility to run for public office.
- Show patriotism and commitment to your new country.
Who is eligible to become a U.S. Citizen?
Not every immigrant is eligible to become a U.S. Citizen. Generally, Green Card holders (Legal Permanent Residents) that have been legal permanent residents for at least five years may apply for citizenship and meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Show residency for at least 3 months in the state or district where you intend to apply.
- Demonstrate continuous residence and physical presence in the U.S. for at least 5 years.
- Can read, write, and speak basic English.
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
- Be a person of good moral character.
- Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.
Are you interested in finding out if you are eligible for U.S. Citizenship and for more information? Contact us to see how we can help.
Rasoulpour Torregoza is the law firm for immigrants, by immigrants. We are founded on the motto of LegalEase: we do away with the legal jargon and make law easy to understand, so you can focus on what’s important to you – going for your American Dream.
Contact us at (888) 445-7066 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also on social media and on Skype: @LegalEaseUS. ||www.LegalEase.us
This website and blog constitute attorney advertising. Do not consider anything on this website or blog legal advice as the law is dynamic, particularly in the immigration field and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.