Green Cards can now be renewed using a mobile device

FirmBee.  Pixabay

FirmBee. Pixabay

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently announced that in its effort to make the process of renewing and replacing Legal Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) more convenient, it has redesigned the online Form I-90, allowing applicants who file without assistance from an attorney or accredited representative to file their form and upload evidence entirely on a mobile device.

What is Form I-90?
Form I-90 is the application form to renew or replace a permanent resident card. Follow this link for tips on filing your I-90.

Why is it important that I renew my Green Card?
Your Green Card is proof of your permanent resident status in the United States. It also serves as a valid identification document and proof that you are eligible to live and work in the United States. Most are valid for 10 years. If you have been granted conditional permanent resident status, the card is valid for 2 years. In this case, you have to remove the conditions on your Green Card and will need to file a different form. 

Once granted permanent residency, although your status does not expire, it is important to keep your card up-to-date. Without a valid card, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove that you are authorized to work in the United States.

When should I renew or replace my Green Card?
You should replace your Green Card in the following situations:

  • Your card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
  • Your card has been mutilated.
  • Your card has incorrect data due to USCIS clerical error.
  • Your name or other biographic information has been legally changed since your existing card was issued.
  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years before you turned 14 years old, and it will not expire before your 16th birthday.
  • You have taken up commuter status. This means you commute regularly to work in the United States but reside in Canada or Mexico.

If you were issued a card valid for 10 years you should renew it at least 6 months before the expiration date. If the card has expired, then you should renew it as soon as possible.

If your Green Card is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional resident and you will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence before the card expires. You may file this application 90 days before your conditional Green rd expires. If your petition is approved, you will be sent a new Green Card valid for 10 years.

SCIS has made it extremely convenient for applicants to apply on their own and renew their Green Cards without the help of an attorney. However, if you have any issues such as a criminal history or have extended trips outside of the United States, we recommend consulting with an experienced immigration attorney to help prepare your application. 

If you have questions about immigration and the green card process, please contact us. We are here to help. Follow us on InstagramTwitterFacebook or LinkedIn for up-to-date immigration news.

Rasoulpour Torregoza is the law firm for immigrants, by immigrants. We are founded on the motto of LegalEase: we do away with the legal jargon and make law easy to understand, so you can focus on what’s important to you – going for your American Dream.
Contact us at (888) 445-7066  or We are also on social media and on Skype: @LegalEaseUS. ||
This website and blog constitute attorney advertising. Do not consider anything on this website or blog legal advice as the law is dynamic, particularly in the immigration field and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.