What is the P3 Artist/Entertainer Visa?

Markytour777.  Wikimedia Commons

Markytour777. Wikimedia Commons

The P-3 visa is for artists or entertainers coming temporarily to the United States to perform, teach or coach, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique.

Who is eligible for a P-3 Visa?
The P-3 individual or group applicant must be coming to the United States to:

  • Develop, interpret, represent, coach, or teach a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation.
  • Participate in a cultural event/s or programming, which will further the understanding or development of the culturally-unique art form. The program may be of a commercial or noncommercial nature.

Duration of stay
The initial duration of stay is the time needed to complete the event, competition or performance, not to exceed 1 year. An extension of stay in increments of up to 1 year in order to continue or complete the event, activity or performance may be requested.

Application Process
Your U.S. employer or sponsoring organization must submit Form I-129, Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) together with the following documentation:

  • Written consultation from an appropriate labor organization
  • A copy of the contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary or the summary of the terms of an oral agreement between the petitioner and the beneficiary
  • An explanation of the event and itinerary
  • Affidavits, testimonials or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of the applicant or group's skills in performing, presenting, coaching or teaching the unique and traditional art forms and giving the credentials of the expert including the basis of his or her knowledge of your or your group’s skills; OR documentation that your or your group’s performance is culturally unique as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals or other published materials.
  • Documentation that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events 

Upon USCIS approval of the application, the applicant must apply for a visa at the appropriate U.S. consulate in order to enter the United States.

Can I change Employers? 
Yes, but only after your new employer has filed a new Form I-129 with USCIS requesting permission to employ you and extend your stay. You may not commence employment with the new employer until the Form I-129 has been approved.

Can I bring my family?
Yes. Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but may attend school or college.

Are you a U.S. organization that would like to bring artists or groups to the U.S.? Are you an artist interested in spreading your culturally-unique art? Would you like more information on the P-3 visa? If so, please contact us. We are here to help. Follow us on InstagramTwitterFacebook or LinkedIn for up-to-date immigration news.

Rasoulpour Torregoza is the law firm for immigrants, by immigrants. We are founded on the motto of LegalEase: we do away with the legal jargon and make law easy to understand, so you can focus on what’s important to you – going for your American Dream.
Contact us at (888) 445-7066  or info@legalease.us. We are also on social media and on Skype: @LegalEaseUS. ||www.LegalEase.us
This website and blog constitute attorney advertising. Do not consider anything on this website or blog legal advice as the law is dynamic, particularly in the immigration field and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.