5 Tips for Correcting Errors on your I-94

JESHOOTScom.  Pixabay

JESHOOTScom. Pixabay

What is an I-94, Arrival/Departure Record?

Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record is a foreign visitor's record of entry into and departure from the United States. The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) used to issue paper Form I-94 which is attached to a visitor's passport as proof of entry. CBP now gathers travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records. Because advance information is only transmitted for air and sea travelers, CBP will still issue a paper form I-94 at land border ports of entry.

Sample paper I-94 no longer used for air and sea travel. This form is still currently issued for entries at land borders. Source:  USCIS

Sample paper I-94 no longer used for air and sea travel. This form is still currently issued for entries at land borders. Source: USCIS

Upon arrival, a CBP officer stamps the travel document of each arriving foreign traveler with the admission date, the class of admission, and the date that the traveler is admitted until. Upon exiting the U.S., travelers previously issued a paper Form I-94 should surrender it to the commercial carrier or to CBP upon departure. Otherwise, CBP will record the departure electronically via manifest information provided by the carrier or by CBP.

Sample Electronic I-94 which may be obtained from the Customs and Border Protection website. Source:  USCIS

Sample Electronic I-94 which may be obtained from the Customs and Border Protection website. Source: USCIS

There is an error on my I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. What should I do?

Here are 5 tips for correcting errors on your I-94:

  1. Obtain a current record of your travel information. Go to the CBP website to obtain your I-94 and Travel History. The website contains up-to-date information about a foreign traveler's record of her most recent entry as well as previous U.S. travel history. You must enter your passport information to access your I-94 and Travel History. We recommend comparing the information on the website with the entry stamps and notations on your passport as well as with other relevant documentation.
  2. Gather documentation showing the correct information. Possible I-94 errors include incorrect entry date, class of admission (visa classification), biographical information, passport information and travel history. Print a copy of the I-94 and travel history information from the CBP website and collect evidence and other documentation reflecting the correct information. For example, if the entry date on the CBP website is incorrect, you would include a copy of your passport page with the entry stamp and notation showing the correct entry date.
  3. Go to a designated Deferred Inspection site for the correction. Once you have a copy of your I-94 and Travel History information from the CBP and have gathered your supporting documentation, go to a Deferred Inspection site for the correction. Any designated deferred inspection location or CBP office located within an international airport should be able to assist you, regardless of where the actual document was issued. If the nearest Deferred Inspection site is not located within an international airport, it would be wise to contact the site to establish an appointment. Mail-in procedures are generally not available.
  4. USCIS errors. If you were issued an incorrect I-94 by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you must contact USCIS as Deferred Inspection Sites will only correct errors made at the time of entry. You may go to a local USCIS office to get your I-94 corrected. You must schedule an InfoPass appointment for assistance.
  5. Double-check your I-94 and Travel History information every time you travel. We recommend checking your I-94 and Travel History every time you travel to save you the hassle of having to correct errors on your arrival/departure record. 

If you have questions about travelling to the United States and would like information about the process, please contact us. We are here to help. Follow us on InstagramTwitterFacebookLinkedIn or Tumblr for up-to-date immigration news.

Rasoulpour Torregoza is the law firm for immigrants, by immigrants. We are founded on the motto of LegalEase: we do away with the legal jargon and make law easy to understand, so you can focus on what’s important to you – going for your American Dream.
Contact us at (888) 445-7066  or info@legalease.us. We are also on social media and on Skype: @LegalEaseUS. ||www.LegalEase.us
This website and blog constitute attorney advertising. Do not consider anything on this website or blog legal advice as the law is dynamic, particularly in the immigration field and nothing in this website constitutes an attorney-client relationship being formed. Set up a one-hour consultation with us before acting on anything you read here. Past results are no guarantee of future results and prior results do not imply or predict future results. Each case is different and must be judged on its own merits.